Focused on Delivering Member Value
The American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) has an active and engaged membership that relies on the association and fellow members to develop and support the work of the current and next generation of informatics professionals.
To support these efforts, AMIA wanted to create a website that focused on delivering high-quality, targeted information to its members and other stakeholders, while also elevating the user experience for all site visitors.
As AMIA's membership spans many disciplines, career paths, and user personas, the association engaged with Unleashed to determine how to present value to each member group interacting with the organization through its website, while attracting new members by providing engaging content that expresses the value of the organization.
Harnessing the Power of Drupal 9
After member research and discussions between AMIA and Unleashed Technologies, AMIA upgraded its Drupal content management system (CMS) to the latest version, Drupal 9, and shifted its functionality to create a more user-centric web experience.
Making the leap from Drupal 7 to Drupal 9, AMIA gains a CMS with far more technical functionality available to drive its website content. Among the hundreds of new capabilities with Drupal 9 include:
- Craft layouts with the built-in visual layout builder to craft layouts that reuse blocks and allows customization of all parts of the page
- An integrated configuration management system with development and staging environment support
- Reusable media managed in an enhanced out-of-the-box media library
- Full multilingual support in all content and configuration
- Improved keyboard navigation and accessibility
- A mobile-first UI for content editing
To better support these functions and elevate site performance, AMIA also explored the hosting options available for the new website.
A Foundation Rooted in Advanced Tech
Led by its experienced Drupal developers, Unleashed collaborated with AMIA to establish the technical upgrades that the new Drupal 9 site would offer. Each of these elements were selected to elevate the user experience on the website and provide a more seamless and engaging site for AMIA members. These enhancements set the stage for content improvements to drive engagement and increase site stickiness or, in other words, an increase in the amount of time visitors spend on a site or the number of times they come back to a site. These technical enhancements included:
- Enhanced navigation and overhauled site structure
- Implemented a responsive design to improve user experience across browsers and device types
- Improve content workflows to empower more content contributors from different departments
- Enhanced single sign-on (SSO) authentication for user accounts with criteria to provide limited access to certain functions and content
- Integrated a digital asset management system for image and documents (Bynder)
- Advanced search capabilities encompassing an association management solution system (AMS) and the website utilizing the Solr search application to deliver more targeted results
- Established framework to integrate updated AMS
- Visual and responsive integration with the member-facing portal
Each of the elements enhances user experience, but while combined their functionality creates a complete and seamless experience that builds visitor satisfaction and enables easy to content visitors are looking for.
Hosting Tailored for Drupal
To support the more powerful CMS, AMIA also chose to use Acquia for its hosting services. Specifically architected for Drupal websites and web applications on a Kubernetes-native platform, the Acquia Cloud offers high scalability and responsiveness to ensure site and applications are available and performing well.
From a technical perspective, the Acquia Cloud delivers 5x the throughput of MySQL server deployments, four layers of caching built-in for Drupal performance, and application back up with 99.99-percent uptime service-level agreement (SLA).
Delivering Impactful Web Content
With more tools at its disposal through a more advanced CMS, the AMIA communications team is now empowered to elevate the quantity and quality of the content it provides to members and visitors through a wide variety of tools and increased functionality. The content enhancements included:
- Increased visitor and member segmentation to deliver more high-value, targeted content
- Developed a podcast library and video content displays
- Added member directories updated dynamically with member-contributed AMS data (single source of truth)
- Created dynamic daily feed of searchable scientific journal content (more than 4000 content items)
- Enhanced meeting agenda content display, filters, nd events calendar
- Developed dynamic searchable education product catalog
- Created an academic program directory with dynamic links to university profiles
- New sponsored content options for revenue generation
- Integrated advertising options throughout site with Google Ad Manager
Key information archiving that maintains accessibility requirements.
Plans for a Personalized Future
During the technology upgrade, Unleashed also installed and integrated Acquia Personalization on the AMIA site to establish data-driven user experiences for targeted personas. While personalization is a powerful tool, the integration was just the first step in the development of persona-driven website providing a tailored and targeted user journey for each site visitor.
With stage one of its implementation focusing on data assessment, Acquia Personalization will ultimately enable AMIA to track visitors’ behavior throughout their site experience—from anonymous visitors to long-term members with a high rate of volunteerism.
When constructed properly and aligned with visitor personas, personalization will unify member content and profile data from multiple sources to deliver in-context, personalized digital experiences across any channel or device.
The International Society of Pharmaceutical Engineering (ISPE) is the world’s largest not-for-profit association linking industry professionals and pharmac
USNI worked with Unleashed Technologies to enhance their website, improve the user experience, and develop better processes to manage and publish content.
In 2017, the NAFSA team was at a critical point in its website journey. They were looking to reorganize and unify their content.